Presentation of the UNSDG18-I: “Rescue for Future”
“Rescue for Future” is a research and information project led by the IMEDD in the framework of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals with the UNSDG18-I, to help a territory with the management of an environmental crisis due to a natural catastrophe. The goal is to raise people’s awareness and send calls for rescue to the entire population and the public organizations of the devasted areas and at international, in order to bring support and help the cleaning and rebuilding.
This initiative “Rescue for Future” was undertaken in 2019 by the IMEDD to help the city of Ventimiglia in Italy, which is at high risk of water submersion. This project is realized in the following framework:
- The IMEDD (project’s holder: Virginie Lelarge, IMEDD’s Founder, Research Director specialized in environment and sustainable development, based in Ventimiglia, Italy for the needs of the project)
- The Expedition of the Planet led by Rose, the Princess of the Environment
- The Region Liguria
- The European Commission
- The United Nations, the UN Environment Programme and the UN Women
Depending on the natural catastrophe, “Rescue for Future” brings support to the crisis management spreading information based on research following the goal of providing an analysis of the economic, social and environmental aspects of the crisis.
Using the social media, due to the very hard context of covid19’s crisis in Italy since February 2020, the IMEDD federates the international, national and local public organizations involved in situations of crisis.
The IMEDD sends alerts, ideas or advices to the rescuers and decision-makers on how to organize an efficient response.
Rescue for Future in Ventimiglia (Italy) started in 2019 and goes on in 2020 and 2021
Context: torrential floods from the mountains which causes tsunamis of wood and mud.
– submersion of the city of Ventimiglia with mud and wood,
– tsunami of wood and waste on the beach,
– economic and social damages.
- 2 Storms in november 2019
- Storm Alex on the 2nd and 3rd of October 2020
The detailed videos of the IMEDD’s initiative to rescue Ventimiglia and raise people’s awareness are available here:
The UNSDG18-I: rescue for future led by the IMEDD participates in 2020 in the European Week for Waste Reduction Awards with the goal of raising awareness about the effects of climate change, and their terrible consequences on local/regional communities, in terms of economic, social, environment, and waste.
The You Tube Channel and playlist of the UNSDG18-I is available here: